Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Two Grandmas; Two Weeks

Like I told you in a blog or two ago, my great-grandma wasn't doing too well, so we went up to visit her. I am so thankful that we had the opportunity to do that. She passed away later that week on Friday, October 24 at 12:56 am. I handled it all very well. I knew she was in a better place, with people that she missed so much and she was not in pain anymore. And she was very ready to go. I am thankful that she has moved on to a better life where she knows no more pain. Her funeral was on October 29, 2008. So back up to Colorado that next week for that. It was a fast but good trip.

We hurried home from Colorado so that I could work that afternoon. We got back in time for my mom to meet my Aunt Leslie and Grandma at the doctor's office. They decided that my grandma should no longer live alone and her time was close enough to get Hospice involved. Hospice is medical care and support for when death is within six months. They are wonderful. So the next morning my mom told her boss that she needed to take a 12 week leave of absence to care for her mother. Slowly things got progressively worse and we just knew that she probably wouldn't bounce back the way she normally has. They had to bring in a hospital bed so that she could be in the living room and we wouldn't have to move her so much. My Aunt Leslie came over for 2-3 days at time to help relieve my mom. My Uncle Jim also came down to see my grandma.

On Sunday my mom told me that she thought that we had transitioned into the dying process. My grandma was just sleeping all the time. My mom kept her morphine and anxiety medicine going every three to four hours instead of when needed. Keith Grow came and gave my grandma a blessing telling her not to be scared, that she needed to look forward to what was coming up for her, all of the loved ones she was going to see and that her family here on earth would be fine. She just needed to have faith everything would be okay. She passed away the next morning, Monday, November 10 at 9:00am. This was a lot harder for me to deal with because i see her every week. I know she is better off and was so ready to go but I just wasn't ready to let her go. And I know how selfish that sounds but I just miss her so much it hurts. I am also very envious that she now gets to be with my grandpa. He has been gone four years this past October.

I am very grateful for this gospel and my knowledge of the plan of salvation. I know that I will be able to return to live with my family once again. I am so grateful for the atonement and Christ's sacrifice for me. I know this church is true and I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.



my grandma and me when i was younger.

No comments: